The mission of athletics at Burlington High School is to foster a positive environment where academic and athletic integrity, responsibility, and excellence thrive. We value our student-athletes, coaches, and athletic staff members as learners, citizens, and competitors who demonstrate perseverance, dedication to team, good sportsmanship, and respect for all.
Our commitment to the personal development and well-being of our student-athletes is grounded in these “values:”
- We believe high school athletics should be fun and rewarding.
- We believe the dignity, worth, and self-esteem of participants should be paramount.
- We believe a strong and positive athletic program complements and supports all students performing at high academic levels.
- We believe the most important result of competition is the development of life-long values and skills.
- We believe all participants can learn the benefits of self-discipline, personal responsibility, the setting of high standards, leadership, and the joy of achievement through athletics.
- We believe winning is an attitude resulting from optimum preparation, concentrated effort, and a commitment to excel.
- We believe positive morale, satisfaction, and performance are enhanced with athletes work together as a team.
- We believe athletics provide integral experiences for students from diverse backgrounds and cultures to learn with and from each other.
- We believe in the multi-sport athlete.
- We believe that there should be various levels of competition available to students so that players of varying abilities can access the benefits of athletics.
- We believe well-qualified coaches and program administrators are important components in a successful athletic program.
- We believe open communication and mutual respect among athletes, coaches, and parents provide the foundation for positive athletic experiences.